Council Services

  • Civic Administration Building
    Church Street, Dubbo, NSW, 2830
  • Office hours:
    9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
  • Mailing address:
    PO Box 81, Dubbo, NSW, 2830
  • Telephone: (02) 6801 4000
  • Fax: (02) 6801 4259
  • Email: Email us today

Water Charges

Current Water Charges

Council has adopted a flat charge for water usage.  Customers pay $1.94 for each kilolitre used as per Council's Revenue Policy 2016/2017.  There is no "allocation" and no step increase in charge beyond a certain level of usage.
Council had two usage charging regimes, one for residential customers and another for non residential customers.  The flat charge applies to all customers, both residential and non residential.

A kilolitre is one thousand litres of water. It occupies a cubic metre and weighs exactly one tonne (t). A megalitre is a thousand kilolitres or a million litres. One megalitre weighs 1000 tonnes.

Water Supply Fact Sheet

Water Connection, Bakflow Prevention and Pricing Fact Sheet Water Connection, Bakflow Prevention and Pricing Fact Sheet (298 KB)

Water Access Charges and Fire Services

Council’s current policy recognises Water Services and Fire Services. Council recognises Fire Services that comply with the Australian Plumbing Code 3500.  Services that are not recognised as Fire Services are considered Water Services.

As Council policy exempts Fire Services from Water Access Charges, Council must ensure that exemptions are issued subject to specific conditions.  Therefore Council needs to have up-to-date reliable information on Fire Services.

Commencing 2012/2013, Council requires owners of Fire Services to arrange an inspection by a licensed plumber to certify it as a Fire Service. Council requires the plumber to issue a certificate certifying its fire service status.  The policy requires this inspection to be undertaken during the months of March, April and May each year.

The property owner must submit the Fire Service Certificate to Council before the end of May, for Council to recognise it as a Fire Service for the following financial year and so exempt it from its current Water Access Charges.

A Fire Certificate can be viewed below:

Fire Services Certificate 2016/2017 Fire Services Certificate 2016/2017 (201 KB)

For further information please call Councils Customer Service Centre on 6801 4000, or visit Council’s website at

Water Meters

Water meters are an important part of Council’s water supply infrastructure.  There are over 12,000 water meters in the Council’s water meter fleet.  Meters accurately record the water consumed by each property.  This enables billing by Council for the water consumed and permits Council to account for all the water supplied to the community. 

Access to meters

Meters are read four times each year and you can assist Council by regularly trimming shrubs from around the meter, so as to permit ready access by the water meter reader.

Under Sections 191, 191A or 192 of the Local Government Act, 1993, Council has powers of entry to private property to carry out water supply work such as meter reading. It would be appreciated if you could assist with providing access.

If your meter is in a locked area or, if there is a dog in the yard when the meter reader calls, you may receive a card in your letterbox asking you to self read your water meter. The card gives instructions on how to do this and doubles as a reply paid letter, which may be posted back to Council without a stamp. If you receive one of these cards and you have any questions, please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on (02) 6801 4000.

It is an offence under Section 636 of Local Government Act, 1993 to tamper or interfere with the normal operation of water meters. If you believe that your meter has been tampered with, please contact Council’s Customer Service centre on (02) 6801 4000 as soon as possible.

Council sometimes installs tamper evident devices on water meters. These are modern plastic devices that replace the seals used in the past. If one is fitted to your meter, you do not have to do anything.

If you damage your meter or the pipes connected to it contact Council as soon as possible.

Meter replacement

In order to ensure the ongoing accuracy of its water meter fleet, Council has adopted a water meter replacement Policy. Under the Policy, meters will be replaced after 12 years in service, or after having registered 7,500 kilolitres.

Meters may be replaced either by Council staff or contractors under Council’s supervision. The water supply is disconnected for a few minutes while the existing water meter is removed and the new one fitted. If you are not at home when the replacement occurs, a card will be placed in your letterbox advising you of the replacement.

Entry to private property

Under Sections 191, 191A and 192 of the Local Government Act 1993, Council has a right of entry to private property for the purpose of carrying out necessary maintenance activities. Council will first take reasonable steps to contact the property owner. If the owner cannot be contacted, Council may enter the property and carry out the necessary work. In such cases, Council will place a card in your letterbox advising that Council has entered your property. If you receive such a card and have any questions about why Council needed to enter your property or the work undertaken there, please contact Council.

Categorisation of Council's Water Customers

Council is required to report to NSW and Commonwealth Agencies on the amount of water used by different sectors of the economy such as “domestic”, “industrial” or “commercial”.

In order to effect this, Council proposes to categorise each of its water supply customers into one of the following water use categories:

                • Residential
                • Commercial
                • Industrial – mining
                • Industrial – manufacturing
                • Industrial – electricity generation
                • Industrial – other
                • Municipal – excluding public parks
                • Municipal – public parks
                • Rural
                • Bulk Sales
                • Unbilled

The definitions of each of these categories are shown below:

Water use associated predominantly with human habitation of the land and building. Internal use of water such as bathroom, kitchen and laundry uses. External uses includes garden watering is included. This includes water supplied to stand alone, residences, flats, strata units or duplex, triplex or similar.

Water supplied to properties where the predominate activity is commercial or business but not industrial. This includes offices, shops, clubs, hotels, motels caravan parks, etc.

Industrial – mining
Water use by customers that mainly extract naturally occurring mineral solids (e.g. coal and ores); liquid mineral (crude petroleum); gases (natural gas), underground and open-cut mining, dredging, and quarrying. Water use in  processing activities (crushing, screening, washing, flotation etc) is also included.

Industrial – manufacturing
Includes customers mainly engaged in physical or chemical transformation of materials, substances, components into new products. This includes geophysical surveying activity, refining, smelting, coking or cement manufacture. It excludes agriculture and construction activities but includes meat, seafood and agricultural processing activities.

Industrial – electricity generation
Includes potable water supplied to electricity generating customers. 

Industrial - other
Includes potable water supplied to all other industrial customers.

Includes potable water supplied for stock and domestic uses outside urban zoned land, including market gardens and agricultural irrigation.

Municipal – excluding public parks
Includes hospitals, schools, nursing homes, colleges, universities, gaols, etc.

Municipal – public parks
Includes watering of public parks, gardens and ovals, etc.

Bulk Water
Water sold in bulk to another person, organisation or corporation. Water sold in bulk to other utilities or entities outside Dubbo City Council’s geographic area of responsibility.

Includes fire fighting and water mains flushing as this is authorised supply and is not a water loss. Example includes fire fighting via customer fire connections and street hydrants.

The categorisation of water customers can affect the water charges customers have to pay. While the Water Service Access Charge (S.501) does not distinguish between customers, different Water Supply Usage Charges (S.502) are levied, depending on whether the customer is categorised as Residential, or Non-Residential.

Also, the category will affect the Sewerage Charge. Council’s Revenue Policy for 2013/2014 has different Sewerage Charges, depending on whether the property is categorised as Residential or Non-Residential.

If you do not agree with the customer category Council has assigned to your property, please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 02 6801 4000.