How to buy a cemetery plot
HOW TO PURCHASE A CEMETERY PLOT
There are several cemetery locations in the local government area managed by Council and two ways in which you can purchase a cemetery plot. Contact Council to select a site for a burial plot or if you know the details already, submit the Burial Permit Application Form.
How much is the plot?
Costs change from year to year with the Revenue Policy.
In 2021/2022 the plot cost (not including interment fee) is:
- New Dubbo Cemetery - $1,696 per plot and $640 for Ashes Garden
- Wellington Lawn Cemetery - $1,508 per plot and $377 for Ashes in Rose Garden or Memorial Garden
- All Village Cemeteries - $1,341
- All Niches in Columbarium Walls - $424
Payment methods and plans
- You can pay up front at time of selection. Make this payment to Council. Alternate payment plan may be available, please seek further advice from Council Cemetery team.
Depth of plot?
- Dubbo & District Cemeteries - Single or double depth can be chosen at the time of the burial by the family. The cost of the double depth is in the digging fee at the time of the funeral.
- Wellington and Village Cemeteries - Single or double depth can be chosen at the time of the burial by the family. It is sometimes determined in a Village Cemetery that the ground is too difficult to excavate double depth in the area requested. Families will be notified by the Council and/or the Funeral Director if this occurs.
Where can I have the plot?
Near a loved one or friend, near an internal roadway, or among trees. Council will endeavour to accommodate all reasonable requests.
- Come into Council to see what is available or discuss with a preferred Funeral Home
- Select your burial site
- Pay the full amount at the time of purchase, via a range of payment methods
- Council will issue an Exclusive Right of Burial certificate, to be kept safe with all valuable and legal documents
- If the plot is not longer needed, Council will refund the original purchase price, less administration fee in accordance with current Council fees and charges
At the time of the funeral
- The Funeral Home will contact Council to confirm plot reservation or available plots for the deceased
- The Funeral Home will submit a Burial Application Form (linked below)
- Council will process Burial Application and provide a Right of Interment certificate to Funeral Home
- Council will invoice the Funeral Home, cost of interment fee, as per current Council fees and charges, along with fee to purchase plot, if applicable
Flyer for Headstone Application Criteria for all cemeteries:
Headstone Application Criteria - all cemeteries (PDF 3.6MB)
1. Burial Permit Application
2. Ashes Interment
3. Application to carry out work in cemeteries and headstone removal
4. Wall of memories - Old Dubbo Cemetery
For Dubbo & District Cemeteries and Wellington and Village cemeteries, please contact Dubbo Regional Council on (02) 6801 4000.
Fee for accessing or printing required information: $77.
Last Edited: 04 Feb 2021