Macquarie Foreshore Event Precinct
Summary: The events calendar in Dubbo will have every opportunity to expand with the opening of the state-of-the-art outdoor events arenas with dedicated stage area, sound and lighting at Ollie Robbins Oval in Dubbo’s CBD. The stage will enable the attraction of major year-round events and festivals, with the site also catering for smaller local events for up to 300 attendees. When not in use for major events the foreshore precinct will provide ample space for locals and visitors to relax and enjoy the tranquil atmosphere near the river and expansive green spaces.
The event precinct will provide accessible, affordable space for smaller community events and support the attraction of major events catering for up to 10,000 patrons, when not in event mode the precinct is designed to be a passive recreation space for the community to connect the river, Tracker Riley cycleway and the CBD. It will enable activation of a range of services such as pop up cafes and equipment hire to support community recreation and events.
Key Project Progression:
- Maquarie River CBD Master plan, including event precinct endorsed by Council following community and industry stakeholder engagement. This plan provides high level strategic direction for the river corridor and a concept for the events precinct, however did not detail the design of the events precinct.
- Detailed project scope document completed in consultation with community, local and national event holders, project management experts and event professionals.
- LahzNimmo Architects architects appointed with details designs completed. Design stage included considerations for flooding, noise, audience management, infrastructure and services. The structure has been designed with flooding up to 1:100 year event as front of mind, and has also enabled the design to be adaptable and multifaceted. The design allows functional community pedestrian usage, contained community event staging of up to 300 people and the flexibility to reverse the stage setting to face North allowing an open, expansive stage touring event capacity of up to 10,000.
- Development application submitted November 2021
- Extensive community consultation on detailed draft concept designs of the event precinct was undertaken to ensure thorough feedback was received from all facets of community. Broad and targeted stakeholder sessions undertaken
Funding: Funding available for the Macquarie River Event Precinct is $3,514,849 made available through the NSW Government - Regional Growth Environment and Tourism Fund and Dubbo Regional Council.
Timeline: The estimated delivery date will be November 2022.
Latest Update: As part of development approval process vehicle access to the site is being reviewed. Soil tests undertaken as part of Council’s regional bore investigation project has identified concerns with soil contamination near the site proposed for development. Management of this risk and impacts on project timing is currently under consideration of project managers who are awaiting on further expert advice. Read the Media Release here.
Image caption: Concepts from ground level, by day and night - LahzNimmo Architects
Image caption: Event Precinct drawings/plans
Fly through 3D concept, early design elements from 2020.
Last Edited: 11 Jan 2022