Know Your Rates


Frequently Asked Questions

What are rates for?
Your rates help pay for services and facilities in your community such as waste management, water supply, roads, sporting grounds, parks, public health programs and community services.

Why do I pay the amount I do?
The amount you pay is calculated based on the unimproved value of your property.

Are there different categories of rate payers?
There are four categories for rating purposes, these are residential, business, farmland or mining. Council decides which category your property should be in based on its characteristics and use.

Who decides the value of my property?
The value of your land is determined by the Land and Property Information Division of the Department of Finance and Services on behalf of the NSW Valuer General.

How often is my property valued?
Valuations are carried out every three years. You will receive a Valuation Notice from the Valuer General notifying you of the value of your property as part of the General Revaluation.

What if I don’t agree with the valuation of my property?
Because the value is set by the Valuer General and not Council, you must send your objection to the Land and Property Information Division of the Department of Finance and Services within 60 days. Even if you lodge an objection you must continue to pay your rates while your objection is being considered.

Is there a limit on how much Council can charge me for my rates?
The amount council can charge is also determined by the rate peg percentage which is set by the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART). This means council’s rates revenue can’t increase by more than the approved percentage.
In 2017/2018 the rate peg percentage is 1.5%, this means that Council can only increase its total rates revenue by 1.5%.

Why did my rates increased by more than the rate peg percentage?
It is possible that some people’s rates will increase by more than 1.5% and some may increase by less than 1.5%. This is because the general revaluation by the Valuer-General may have resulted in an increase or decrease in the value of the land.

What is a rate path freeze?
The NSW Government provided a policy commitment that ratepayers would not pay more in rates than they would have under their former council for four years. This commitment is to freeze existing rate pathways, rather than freezing the level of rates that are levied by councils.

Are there any discounts or concessions on rates?
Pensioners may be eligible for a concession on their rates. To be eligible you must receive a pension from either Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affaits and be entitled to the pensioner concession card from the federal government.

Click here to pay your rates and view a full summary of our other charges.


Last Edited: 25 Jul 2018

Section Menu