Old Dubbo Gaol Public Heritage Plaza
Development of a new public plaza in front of the State Heritage listed Old Dubbo Gaol located in the heart of Dubbo’s Central Business District, comprising:
- Landscaping and artworks that recreate and interpret former historic structures which occupied the site, including the watchtower and judge’s bench/seating,
- A skeletal steel and timber shade ‘ghost building’ structure – signifying the form, location and materials of the original 1847 timber slab courthouse and lockup
- Kinetic Artwork Screen projecting images onto the façade of the Telstra Telephone Exchange that forms the southern side of the plaza.
The plaza will open up clear views of the Gaol’s gatehouse entrance and Gaol wall as well as the ornate Post Office colonnade and its iconic clock tower, creating a civic space in Dubbo’s justice precinct. The construction of tourism infrastructure will deliver economic growth and productivity for both the Dubbo Region with flow-on effects across the NSW economy.
The preparation in project planning for the Old Dubbo Gaol Heritage Plaza has commenced and includes completion of a project plan mapping session with internal and heritage planning stakeholders along with the completion of a detailed project scope document. Stakeholder Engagement completed for the Heritage Plaza includes but is not exclusive to the following:
- Internal Stakeholder engagement meetings
- Meeting with owner and team at The Exchange
- Contact with Telstra’s Head of Rural & Regional Affairs
- Meeting with Councils Heritage Advisor to discuss preliminary plans and idea
Budget: A $5,010,000 investment will see the reclamation and development of a public heritage plaza at Old Dubbo Gaol, Dubbo’s second most popular attraction.
Status: Consultation / Design
Funding: NSW Government - Regional Growth Environment and Tourism Fund
Timeline: The Destination Dubbo project aligns with the requirements of the NSW Restart Fund and, in turn, the Regional Growth: Environment and Tourism Fund timelines. Estimated delivery date will be mid 2022
Plans: In development
Fly through 3D concept:
Media releases (most recent at the top)
Dubbo one step closer to becoming 'International Ready'
Last Edited: 29 Apr 2020