Dubbo Sister City Minokamo Exchange - Student Application
2024 Minokamo Sister City Student Exchange
Students aged 15 to 18 that attend a high school within Dubbo Regional Council area are eligible to apply for the 2024 Minokamo Student Exchange. Please make sure that you and your parents read the Terms and Conditions at the bottom of this form before you begin your application to ensure you are eligible for consideration and that your parents support your application.
Mandatory field(s) marked with *
Terms & conditions enter here.
1. The minimum age for students to participate in the exchange program is 15 years of age (students must be 15 at the time of departure) and all applicants must attend a Dubbo LGA High School (Including Wellington High School) .
2. The 2024 Student Exchange is reciprocal, and DRC would prefer that participating students and their families home stay a Minokamo student when they visit Dubbo in late July or early August 2024. Inability to host a family may be considered as part of the application process. Please advise Sister City Officer if you need to discuss this before applying.
3. The total cost of the visit (including return airfares, internal transfers, travel insurance, most meals, side trip to Tokyo and Tokyo Disneyland for Minokamo Exchange) will be around $5158 (cost on 2023). Dubbo Regional Council will subsidise the cost by $1000 per student so the cost to successful applicants will be around $4158. This is an estimated quote only and may vary at the time of booking.
4. All other personal costs are to be borne by students. An approximate budget of $25 per day is recommended to cover daily incidental spending. Additional funds will be required for students for some meals, tips and to make purchases of gifts, clothing etc.
5. Students will be billeted with families in Minokamo. Home staying with a local family is a unique cultural experience not available to tourists and assists in keeping the cost of the exchange visits very affordable.
6. The duration of the exchanges is 12 to 14 days in the September/October School holidays - departing Sunday 29 September returning to Dubbo on Friday 11 October 2024.
7. Two adult Chaperones experienced in accompanying teenage students on overnight excursions and in overseas travel will accompany the students to and from Dubbo, and our sister cities provide a guide/interpreter during the groups stay in their cities. A guide will accompany the group during side trips in Tokyo.
8. Selection of successful students will involve an interview of the student and their parent/s and/or guardian/s - this is a very worthwhile experience for students and could be their first formal interview - we do try to put the students at ease in the interview.
9. Students will be selected based on the responses given in the online application and interview process. The program seeks to support students who show an interest in civic participation, an interest in learning more about our sister cities and becoming a global citizen. Students will be representing Dubbo LGA and maturity and responsibility are strong criteria for success in applications.
10. Exchange students will be required to attend four cultural training and language sessions to prepare for the visit. They will also prepare a report to present to Dubbo Regional Council and the Sister City Advisory Panel following the sister city exchange trip.
11. Student will be expected to hold or to have a valid Australian Passport within FOUR weeks of notification that their application has been successful.
For further information, please contact the Sister City Officer: Daisy Wang on 02 6801 4403 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Edited: 12 Feb 2024