Sister City student exchange program
DUBBO'S REGIONAL COUNCILS Sister Cities
Dubbo has active Sister City relationships with two international cities and two Australian cities:
Wellington has a Sister City relationship with Toyama/Osawano, Japan (August 1992)
Sister City relations bring excellent mutual benefits in the areas of trade, tourism and cultural exchange.
On a global level, the Sister City program is generally recognised as an important means to build international goodwill and to further global social and economic development based on co-operation at the local level.
Sister City Student Exchange Program - "APPLICATIONS TO VISIT WUJIANG IN 2018 STILL OPEN"
Dubbo Regional Council runs a reciprocal student exchange program with our two Asian sister cities, Minokamo and Wujiang. Each year in July and August, DRC welcomes ten students and 2 chaperones from Minokamo, and fourteen students and 2 chaperones from Wujiang for the annual student exchange visits. While in the September school holiday two groups of specially selected high school students aged 15 to 18 and their chaperones visit Japan and China as our city representatives on the sister city student exchange.
The advantages of Council’s sister city student exchanges when compared to other overseas trips for students and chaperone leaders are:
- Its very affordable - in 2017 the cost to each participant for at 10-12 day stay was $2,800 plus spending money.
- Unique travel opportunities as all participants live with a local family in Minokamo and Wujiang and attend school with their host student, immersing them in the local culture.
- Dubbo Regional Council has several years experiences in organising reciprocal exchanges; is responsible for all aspects of the visit including travel arrangements and provides the successful applicants with cultural and language training prior to their exchange visit.
- It also offers the Dubbo exchange participants and local families the opportunity to home host students and chaperones from Minokamo and Wujiang when they visit Dubbo in July and August.
- Minokamo exchange includes side trips around Tokyo city and to Tokyo Disneyland. The Wujiang exchange includes half day visit to Shanghai Disneyland and a three day visit to Beijing (includes trip to great wall, Ming Dynasty Tomb and Forbidden city).
"The Wujiang exchange program to China is exceptional and has been the highlight of my time in high school. The experience I had changed my life, not only did I visit an incredible country, but I gained much more confidence and made great friendships with my Chinese students. I feel so privileged to have this opportunity and I have made memories that I will treasure for the rest of my life." 2016 Wujiang Student - Jackie Bailey
"As a chaperone on the 2017 exchange I was greatly impressed by how very well we were received and cared for by our new friends and colleagues in Wujiang. The experience of an ancient country and modern culture, so very different from our own, is most definitely one I will never forget and have no hesitation in highly recommending to others contemplating chaperoning future exchange groups." 2017 Wujiang Chaperone - Lisa Gaye-Williams
"Being someone who had never gone overseas before, I wanted
to be a part of the exchange program to Minokamo, Japan to learn more about a
new culture and to see how other people my age interact with one another. I am
happy to say that I got this and so much more from the program. I cannot
recommend this exchange enough to anyone who wishes to make amazing new friends
and to experience some of the most amazing sites the world has to offer". 2017 Minokamo Student - Jack Schwager
"The Wujiang student exchange program was an unforgettable and incredible experience. I gained many lifelong friendships and it gave me a hands on insight of the China Culture. The Chinese people were very welcoming and accommodating. I would like to thank the Dubbo City Council for making this happen and I will treasure this opportunity forever." 2016 Wujiang Exchange Student - Claudia Morrison
"Visiting China was an amazing experience. The rich and vibrant culture was unbelievable. The trip certainly enabled our students to see how different and diverse the Chinese culture and way of life is. It was definitely inspirational and a fantastic opportunity to undertake both as a student and teacher." Wujiang Chaperone - Craig Turner
"A wonderful experience of cultural immersion! Being home hosted provided a behind the scenes experience of life with a Japanese family, giving us a much better understanding than a tourist visit could provide. The exchange program was well organised and our chaperone role was an experience we will value into the future." 2017 Minokamo Chaperones - Sally Egan and Brian Goodall
Click on the links below to complete the online applications: -
Last Edited: 18 Apr 2018