There are several cemetery locations in the Dubbo Regional Council Local Government Area where you can purchase a plot for yourself or a loved one. Expand the sections below to find out more about how to purchase or transfer ownership, as well as view a number of frequently asked questions relating to plots.
HOW TO PURCHASE A CEMETERY PLOT
There are several cemetery locations in the local government area managed by Council and two ways in which you can purchase a cemetery plot.
1. PRE-NEED PURCHASE
Come into Council, speak with the Cemetery Administration team or discuss with your preferred funeral home, cemetery locations and what is available
Select your burial site and complete the application form with all necessary details
Pay the full invoiced amount at the time of purchase, via DRC&ME or come in and speak with one of Council Customer Experience team
Cemetery Administration will issue an Exclusive Right of Interment certificate, to be kept safe with all valuable and legal documents
If the plot is not longer needed, the Exclusive Right of Interment can be returned to Council for a refund of the original purchase price, less administration fee, in accordance with current Council fees and charges
2. PURCHASE AT THE TIME OF A LOVED ONE PASSING
Your chosen Funeral Home will assist selecting a site for a burial plot at the time of other funeral arrangements. If you know the details already, or have a preferred location, let the funeral staff know
The Funeral Home will contact Council to confirm plot reservation or available plots for the loved one
The Funeral Home will submit an Interment Application Form (Interment Permit Application Form)
Council will process the Interment Application and provide all required documentation to the Funeral Home
Council will invoice all relevant costs to the Funeral Home, as per current Council fees and charges;
cost of interment fee (grave digging),
cost to purchase plot (Exclusive Right of Interment), if applicable
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW MUCH IS A PLOT?
Costs change from year to year with the Revenue Policy. 2021/2022 the plot/Right of Interment costs (not including interment/grave digging fee) are:
- New Dubbo Cemetery - $1,696 per plot and $640 for Ashes Garden
- Wellington Lawn Cemetery - $1,508 per plot and $377 for Ashes in Rose Garden or Memorial Garden
- All Village Cemeteries - $1,341
- All Niches in Columbarium Walls - $424
HOW CAN I PAY FOR A PLOT?
- Full payment is required for Exclusive Right of Interment to be granted.
- Cemetery Administration team will provide a tax invoice for payment within two weeks
- Please seek further advice from Council Cemetery Administration team
DEPTH OF A PLOT?
- Dubbo & District Cemeteries - Single or double depth can be chosen at the time of the burial by the family.
- Wellington and Village Cemeteries - Single or double depth can be chosen at the time of the burial by the family. It is sometimes determined in a Village Cemetery that the ground is too difficult to excavate double depth in the area requested. Families will be notified by the Council and/or the Funeral Director if this occurs.
WHERE CAN I HAVE THE PLOT?
Near a loved one or friend, near an internal roadway, or among trees. Council will endeavour to accommodate all reasonable requests.
TRANSFERRING OWNERSHIP OF A PLOT / RIGHT OF INTERMENT
Ownership or Exclusive Right of Interment, can be transferred to another family member, friend or acquaintance with no fees charged by Council. However the requirement is for the transfer section at the bottom of the original certificate (Exclusive Right or Right of Interment certificate) issued by Council at the time of purchase must be completed in full, with details of the new owner and signed by the current holder of ownership. The document must be provided to Council as soon as practical, as Council records must be updated at the time of transfer.
Ownership can be transferred back to Dubbo Regional Council for a refund of the purchase price less an administration fee. The following documents are required to be submitted for approval:
- Original certificate of ownership, either; pre-2020 - Exclusive Right (carbon copy certificate) or Right of Interment (colour printed A4 certificate)
- Exclusive Right of Interment Refund Application - (linked)
FORMS FOR SUBMISSION
1. Interment Permit Application Form
2. Ashes Interment
3. Application to carry out work in cemeteries and headstone removal
4. Wall of memories - Old Dubbo Cemetery
5. Headstone Application Criteria - all cemeteries
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For Dubbo & District Cemeteries and Wellington & Village cemeteries, please contact Dubbo Regional Council on (02) 6801 4000.
Fee for accessing or printing required information: $77.
Last Edited: 11 Apr 2022