There are several cemetery locations in the Dubbo Regional Council Local Government Area where you can purchase a plot for yourself or a loved one.
Application forms will need to be completed for all services. The fees and charges associated with our services are detailed below.
Please note: Submission of an Interment Application does not automatically confirm a date of interment. The Cemetery admin team will discuss availability and accessibility with the Cemetery Maintenance team before providing confirmation.
Expand the sections below to find out more about how to purchase or transfer ownership, as well as view a number of frequently asked questions relating to plots.
HOW TO PURCHASE A CEMETERY PLOT
There are several cemetery locations in the local government area managed by Council and two ways in which you can purchase a cemetery plot.
To purchase an interment right, contact Cemetery Administration. Your funeral director will coordinate the funeral arrangements for you including the burial arrangements at the Cemetery.
If you are a funeral director please use the Interment Permit Application Form.
1. PRE-NEED PURCHASE
Come into Council, speak with the Cemetery Administration team or discuss with your preferred funeral home, cemetery locations and what is available
Select your burial site and complete the application form with all necessary details
Pay the full invoiced amount at the time of purchase, via DRC&ME or come in and speak with one of Council Customer Experience team
Cemetery Administration will issue an Exclusive Right of Interment certificate, to be kept safe with all valuable and legal documents
If the plot is no longer needed, the Exclusive Right of Interment can be returned to Council for a refund of the original purchase price, less administration fee, in accordance with current Council fees and charges.
2. PURCHASE AT THE TIME OF A LOVED ONE PASSING
Contact Council, the Cemetery Administration team will assist with selecting a site for a burial plot. Your chosen Funeral Home may also enquire on your behalf at the time of other funeral arrangements. If you know the details already, or have a preferred location, let the funeral staff know.
Council will confirm plot reservation or available plots for the loved one.
Complete an application for Cemetery Plot Reservation - Perpetual Exclusive Right of Interment.
The Funeral Home will submit an Interment Permit Application Form.
Council will process the Interment Application and invoice relevant exclusive right of interment fees to the applicant.
Submission of an Interment Application does not automatically confirm a date of interment. The Cemetery admin team will discuss availability and accessibility with the Cemetery Maintenance team before providing confirmation to the Funeral Home.
Council will invoice all relevant costs to the Funeral Home, as per current Council fees and charges; cost of interment fee (grave digging).
After payment has been received and verified, Council will provide all required documentation to the applicant.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW MUCH IS A PLOT?
Costs change from year to year with the Revenue Policy. 2022/2023 the plot/Right of Interment costs (not including interment/grave digging fee) are:
- New Dubbo Cemetery - $1,738 per plot and $640 for Ashes Garden
- Wellington Lawn Cemetery - $1,644 per plot and $452 for Ashes in Rose Garden or Memorial Garden
- All Village Cemeteries - $1,375
- All Niches in Columbarium Walls - $488
HOW CAN I PAY FOR A PLOT?
- Full payment is required for Exclusive Right of Interment to be granted.
- Cemetery Administration team will provide a tax invoice for payment.
- Please seek further advice from Council Cemetery Administration team
DEPTH OF A PLOT?
- Dubbo & District Cemeteries - Single or double depth can be chosen at the time of the burial by the family.
- Wellington and Village Cemeteries - Single or double depth can be chosen at the time of the burial by the family. It is sometimes determined in a Village Cemetery that the ground is too difficult to excavate double depth in the area requested. Families will be notified by the Council and/or the Funeral Director if this occurs.
WHERE CAN I HAVE THE PLOT?
Near a loved one or friend, near an internal roadway, or among trees. Council will endeavour to accommodate all reasonable requests.
TRANSFERRING OWNERSHIP OF A PLOT / RIGHT OF INTERMENT
Ownership or Exclusive Right of Interment, can be transferred to another family member, friend or acquaintance with no fees charged by Council. However the requirement is for the transfer section at the bottom of the original certificate (Exclusive Right or Right of Interment certificate) issued by Council at the time of purchase must be completed in full, with details of the new owner and signed by the current holder of ownership. The document must be provided to Council as soon as practical, as Council records must be updated at the time of transfer.
Ownership can be transferred back to Dubbo Regional Council for a refund of the purchase price less an administration fee. The following documents are required to be submitted for approval:
- Original certificate of ownership, either; pre-2020 - Exclusive Right (carbon copy certificate) or Right of Interment (colour printed A4 certificate)
- Exclusive Right of Interment Refund Application
Contact Council, speak with the Cemetery Administration team and they will assist with selecting a site for the ashes interment.
Submit an Ashes Interment application.
After the application is processed, Council will invoice all relevant costs to the applicant, as per current Council fees and charges.
When payment has been received and verified, Council will provide all required documentation to the applicant.
CARRYING OUT WORKS IN COUNCIL CEMETERIES
All work proposed to a grave site is subject to prior Council approval.
All monuments in Council cemeteries must be installed or removed by companies with a current Permit to Work.
All work undertaken in Council cemeteries must adhere to current WHS Worksafe standards and comply with Councils headstone application criteria.
Council recommends a stonemason or Funeral Home be engaged to complete works.
An Application to Carry out Works in cemeteries and headstone removal must be completed and approved before the works can be carried out.
Council requires permission from the plot owner or all known next of kin state in writing (a Stat Dec) that they agree to proposed works being carried out.
After the application is processed and approved, Council will issue an approval letter to the required stonemason or Funeral Home.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND APPLICATION FORMS
1. Interment Permit Application (PDF 779.7KB)
2. Ashes Interring Permit Application (PDF 932.1KB)
3. Application for Exclusive Right of Interment Form (PDF 796.5KB)
4. Headstone Application and Carrying Out Works in Council Cemeteries (PDF 733.7KB)
5. Headstone Application Criteria - all cemeteries
6. Application for Plaque (PDF 769.3KB)
7. Old Dubbo Cemetery Wall of Memories Plaque Application (PDF 615.3KB)
General Public Conduct Terms and Conditions (PDF 600.6KB)
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For Dubbo & District Cemeteries and Wellington & Village cemeteries, please contact Dubbo Regional Council on (02) 6801 4000.
Fee for accessing or printing required information: $77.
Last Edited: 08 Feb 2023